WHAT IS AN APPRENTICESHIP?
An apprenticeship is a real job with training. You the apprentice will be part of the salons staff team like any other employee and will learn job specific skills whilst you work.
WHAT WILL I GET PAID?
This varies from employer to employer, but as a minimum an employer must pay apprentices aged 16-18 or in the first year of their apprenticeship at least £4.15 an hour.
- All other apprentices are entitled to the National Minimum Wage for their age.
- You are entitled to the National Minimum Wage for Apprentices which is currently £4.15 per hour. Click here for the latest details on the current minimum wage rate for an apprentice.
- This rate applies to apprentices under the age of 19, or apprentices over the age of 19 in the first year of their apprenticeship
- You must be paid at least the minimum wage rate for your age if you’re an apprentice aged 19 or over and have completed your first year
BENEFITS OF BECOMING AN APPRENTICE
- Not stuck in a classroom all day, gaining the valuable skills and experience in a real life working environment whilst training and gaining your qualficiation
- Full-time employment in a salon near you
- Earn while you learn
- NUS Apprentice Extra Student discount card
- You’re treated like any other paid employee, clocking up holiday pay as you go, but you’re also working towards a debt free qualification.
- You can expect to work in the region of 30 hours a week with your employer, plus a day of study either at your workplace, university, college, or online.
- Train on real clients
- Access to high standard training and additional workshops
- Excellent progression opportunities
- Make new friends
WHERE COULD MY QUALIFICATIONS TAKE ME?
Once you have gained your qualifications the career routes are endless, here’s a few for you to think about:
- Travel the world by working on a cruise ship salon
- Become an educator / assessor in a training college
- Open your very own salon or barber shop
- Colour specialist / technician
- Celebrities personal stylist
- TV / Theatre hair and make-up artist
- CITY & GUILDS
- GOV APPRENTICESHIP
- BECOME AN APPRENTICE
- OFSTED REPORT
- ASS 023 LEARNER APPEALS PROCEDURE
- COMP 002 EQUALITY AND DIVERSITY POLICY FOR LEARNERS
- COMP 088 SAFEGUARDING CHILDREN YOUNG PEOPLE POLICY PROCEDURES
- COMP 096 PREVENT DUTY POLICY
- COMP 109 BL TRAINING PRIVACY NOTICE
- COMP 110 ESFA LEARNER PRIVACY NOTICE
- COMP 118 LEARNER SAFEGUARDING SUPPORT LEAFLET
- COMP 137 SAFEGUARDING LEARNERS IN A DIGITAL WORLD
- COMP 147 PREVENT CHANNEL REFERRAL